Within days of the destruction of the exquisitely designed modernist Paschal house last month, the Diocese of Raleigh announced that the former residence of the Bishop of Raleigh on Bilyeu St., known familiarly as “Little Maryknoll,” would soon meet the same fate. Sadly, demolition began Wednesday.
Around 1915, when the photo above was taken, this house lay on the outer edge of Raleigh’s city limits. Now, it rests squarely within the boundaries of downtown. Save some minor changes, the exterior of the house has remained much the same since the photograph was taken. The bracket under the dormer remains an interesting feature of the home and also distinguishes it from others in the neighborhood.
Any of our savvy readers care to guess where this house is? This is a tough one, but we’ll make it worth your while. The first person to correctly identify the complete address of this house will receive an 8×10 print, hand-printed from the original glass plate negative. How’s that for some motivation?
In an ironic reversal of its construction, NC State University’s old Riddick Stadium has disappeared bit by bit over the decades since Carter-Finley Stadium was erected as its replacement in 1966. First, the East Stands were demolished in 1968 and replaced by a campus parking lot. Then in 2005 the West Stands met the same fate, and were replaced by the new SAS Hall.
And now, barring the success of a last-ditch ‘Hail Mary pass,’ the venerable Riddick Field House itself will fall to the wrecker’s ball early in March over spring break.