According to the National Park Service, the dean of the College of Design at North Carolina State College was instrumental in recruiting several modernist architects to the area. One of these modernist architects was G. Milton Small, who arrived in the area around the same time as the founding of the School of Design at North Carolina State College in 1948.
From the NPS web site:
Small’s own office building, completed in 1966, summarizes key elements of his work over the previous 20 years. To make the best use of a tiny site, the occupied space of the building is raised a story on steel columns, allowing for parking and a fountain-lined entrance walkway underneath.
The G. Milton Small Building is on the National Register of Historic Places.